I guess I should start by stating that I was PMSing. I wanted chocolate. I wanted brownies. So, I got on the computer and found some nice looking recipes for some great ones made from scratch. Some called for honey or maple syrup as sugar sweeteners, some for avocado, some for coconut oil, etc. The pictures accompanying them looked fabulous and my mouth was watering. Then I thought back to all of the times I tried these types of recipes and how about half of them were actually really tasty. The other half of the recipes that didn’t work out left me feeling that I wasted time and money trying them out. I couldn’t do that. Not today.
Knowing my kids would also want in on the action, I decided to work with what I had. I used a mix that I knew tasted decent and combined it with my own healthier concoction. Call it Semi-Homemade with Dawn Lorenz. Move over Sandra Lee, I’m coming to take over your job with a healthy twist.
Please note: You MUST let these get cold in the refrigerator before eating. This makes them chewy with a slight fudge like consistency. When cold, all you taste is chocolate. When still warm, you can slightly taste the veggies. I promise that cold, they are delicious – they’re worth the wait!
- Brownie Mix - I used Trader Joe's Gluten Free Mix
- ¼ cup liquid - Instead of water, I used the juice from the beets
- ¼ cup liquified coconut oil or ghee
- 2 small cooked beets chopped
- ½ large raw zucchini chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts or ¼ cup almond butter
- 1 egg
- fresh coconut to garnish (optional)
- Follow the instructions on the box of brownie mix for oven temperature as it varies with the kind you are using.
- Whisk together brownie mix, liquid, oil and egg using the ingredients listed here in place of the ones on the box.
- Stir in chopped beets and zucchini.
- Gently fold in the nuts.
- Pour into baking dish (use one slightly bigger than suggested on box to account for all extra ingredients added to the mixture).
- Bake according to box directions.
- Let the brownies cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Garnish with fresh shredded coconut if desired.